It is the parent’s responsibility to report each and every absence. Please call the school office before 8:00 am and provide the student’s name and grade level, your call will be handled directly by office personnel. In order to obtain the best possible education, it is important that students attend class on a daily basis and arrive on time. Regular classroom participation is necessary in achieving the best possible learning situation for every student. This policy statement has been developed to encourage good attendance and to discourage tardiness. Our goal is to maximize every student’s opportunity to learn, attendance is the responsibility of parents and students. A student must attend class regularly to receive an excellent grade, any pupil who is absent from school more than 14 days and above, and whose absence has materially affected academic progress, may receive a lower grade or be advised to repeat the class at the discretion of the school administration.
- Illness: A doctor’s or parent’s note explaining the reason for the absence is necessary for your student’s attendance file.
- Medical visits or procedures: The student’s attendance record will need a notation from the treating physician.
- Death: The student’s attendance file needs a note from the parent.
- Personal or family emergency: A parent note is required for the student’s attendance record.
- Parent/Guardian will need to send a handwritten note to school (or call the school) that states the student’s first and last name, date and time of release, and the reason for the early dismissal. The student is to bring this note to the office before school begins.
- All students must be signed out by a parent/guardian (or someone designated by the parent/guardian on the emergency card) in the office before leaving the building.
- The written note will be maintained with the student’s attendance records.
Punctuality is a life skill that will help every individual in the future, and it is the obligation of the school to instill this value in our students. Attending class on time enables the Instructor to start the lesson on time for all students. Students coming late to school after 8:30 am is being late for class.
- Three late arrivals equate to one excused absence.
- Three unexcused tardy absences will result to penalty that will be decided by the school Administrator.
- The administration will have the last say on whether to suspend students from class if tardiness persists.
Responsibility of the Student
To attend school daily, on time and participate fully. The student who has been absent has the responsibility for securing and completing make-up assignments. The class work must be accomplished within a specific time period to cover up the missed lessons. In case of a pre-arranged absence, the class work is due the day the student returns to school. All work not made up within the time limit will be graded zero.
The duties of the Administrator
- Analyze student attendance records and get in touch with a student’s parent or guardian when their wards are not regular in school.
- Should take the necessary actions to guarantee that kids regularly attend school on time, by liaising with parents.
- Parental notification of absence, eg: a phone call or letter reminding them of the need of regular attendance will be sent out after 5 (five) absences.
- 10 (ten) absences: To create an attendance intervention strategy, a required meeting involving parents, principals and a certified social worker will be convened. Proactive and problem-solving strategies will be used in the intervention strategy.
- The outcome of the meeting will be the deciding factor.